Sea Kayaking and Skills Instruction
Update April 2021: Adventuress is now open to offer our Discover Kayaking lessons and Paddle Canada courses and Rescue and Safety Clinics. To ensure public and staff safety, Adventuress has written COVID-SAFE Guidelines which include protocols on social distancing, small group size, kayak and gear cleanliness, instruction, payment and signing of waivers. We also ask that you have not had COVID-19 or been around anyone who has, are currently in good health, have been following the government safety guidelines and quarantining for 14 days if you have been travelling internationally. We find, at this time, we can adhere to those guidelines and ask our guests to please read and follow the guidelines as well to ensure a safe and enjoyable time for all. Thank you!
Adventuress offers fun, introductory kayaking lessons, Paddle Canada certified courses and a number of Clinics. Get ready for the paddling season, increase your confidence and upgrade your skills. Start with the Basic Paddling Course for Beginners and then work towards the 2 day Level 1. For those wanting to hone their rescue skills, check out our Rescue & Safety Clinics. Everyone is invited… young and old, men and women.. no experience is necessary, absolute beginners are welcome. See the selections below and find what suits ya’ best!
- Trip Planning 101 for Paddlers – NEW – join us for this online course on 2 Saturday mornings May 8 & 15th 2021. By the end of the course you will learn: Pre-trip planning, introduction to weather, charts, tides & currents; how to plan a paddling route and camping destination, how to pack and outfit your boat for safety and comfort, what gear to bring, how to be a green camper, safety and emergency protocols, local areas where you can camp and enjoy beginner overnight and day trips. $59 plus gst. Email email@example.com to register and for course outline.
- NEW THIS YEAR! Get 2 certifications in 1 weekend! We have paired a Paddle Canada Basic and a Basic Camping Course to immerse you in the all details to make you a savvy camper and ground your kayaking skills.
- Discover Kayaking … a 2.5 hour gentle introduction to kayaking… perfect for those who wish to learn a few basics and have a paddle around the bay. See below for more info.
- Paddle Canada Certified Basic Sea Kayaking Course for Beginners… for those who prefer an in-depth, solid foundation in sea kayaking and receive a certification. This is a full day course. See below for more info.
- Paddle Canada Certified Level 1 Sea Kayaking Course.. for those who already have their Basic certification or applicable skills, knowledge and experience… come join us for a full weekend of more skills & knowledge, more on-water practice and more fun!
- Rescue & Safety Clinics… for those who have taken previous training and want to practice their re-entry skills and learn new techniques. Or for those who simply wish to join us for the first time, get ready for the paddling season, and practice, practice, practice! See below for more details. Everyone welcome!
- Seamanship and Trip Planning Course for Paddlers … 15 hour course especially designed for kayakers who wish to delve into more topics including weather, navigation, chart reading, tides & currents and start planning their own trips. Dates to be determined for 2021 due to room rental restrictions. More details here.
- Women in the Wild Kayaking Skills and Paddling Adventure! For women who want to come out on the high seas for a multi-day adventure but it seems a daunting task. This 5 day in-depth course and paddling adventure will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to kayak, camp, and explore the fabulous Broken Group Islands. Certification in Paddle Canada Basic or Level 1 is included upon successful completion. Dates to be determined as the Broken Group Islands have been closed since 2020. Interested? Email Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org to be on the updated list. More details here.
Adventuress can come to you! If you have a group who wishes to be instructed, call us and we would be happy to bring the boats and gear to your surroundings.
Paddle Canada Certified Basic Sea Kayaking Course
Adventuress teaches the Paddle Canada Basic introductory class, a nationally accredited course for recreational paddlers. This 8 hour course is taught by a certified Paddle Canada instructor. There are no kayaking prerequisites for this class; complete beginners are welcome! Upon successful completion, the participant will receive a certificate from Paddle Canada.
This basic sea kayaking course is jam-packed full of information and time on the water. It is perfect for beginners who wish to get a solid foundation in the art of sea kayaking. For those who have some experience in kayaking, this is a way to enhance your skills, learn new techniques, and feel more confident. This course comes with an in-depth manual.
By the end of this course, you will have learned the following:
- Eight different paddling strokes
- How to enter and exit the kayak
- How to do a wet exit
- How to rescue someone else
- How to edge, pivot, balance and raft up
- How to dress for kayaking
- All about safety equipment and Transport Canada regulations
- Features of kayaks
- What to do to prevent common injuries
- How to take care of your equipment and boat
- Names of kayaking resources and associations
- Introduction to navigation, risk assessment and mitigation
- Kayakers impact on the environment
Length: 8 hours (8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
Cost: $150 + 5% goods and service tax (gst) includes certified Paddle Canada instructor, course manual, instruction, and certificate upon successful completion. *
Dates for 2021: April 17, April 18, May 22, May 23, June 6, June 26, July 1, July 15, August 7, September 5. Or call to book your group. These courses are very popular and more dates are added as the courses fill up and the summer progresses.
Be sure to e-mail if these dates don’t work for you or if you have a group and wish to do private lessons.
* Kayaks and gear (lifejacket with whistle, paddle, spray skirt, tow rope, pump) for the full day course can be rented for $25.00 + 5% gst per person. Just let us know and we’d be happy to assist you.
Kayaking & Camping Skills Weekend
Get ready for a full weekend of learning and fun! These in-depth skills feature a Paddle Canada Certified Course for Beginners (as above) PLUS a full complement of camping skills from camp set up to food prep and storage, trip planning, hygiene, fire building, knots, first aid awareness, camping comfort, and more! We will camp overnight on a local Nanaimo island and put all those skills in practice on the water and on the land. You will gain self confidence and build your skills and experience in a short amount of time. This would also appeal to older teens who would like to move into being outdoor leaders.
Dates for 2021: To be determined. Feel free to book other dates for your family and/or friends.
Cost: $325 includes Paddle Canada instructor, kayak, Transport Canada gear (lifejacket with whistle, paddle, spray skirt, tow rope, pump, paddle float), dry bags, stove, tent, dishes, first aid equipment, radio devices, camping fees, resource hand-out and certification in Paddle Canada Basic Sea Kayaking and Paddle Canada Basic Camping Skills upon successful completion. Participants are responsible for providing their own food 1 breakfast, 2 lunches and one dinner. If doing this with a buddy, you can plan your meals together. Sleeping bags and sleeping pads can be rented for a nominal amount. Email Jan at email@example.com to register and for more details.
Paddle Canada Level 1 Course
This Level 1 course is geared for those with their Basic certification and want to take their skills and knowledge up a notch. This class is taught over two days so you can immerse yourself in your on-water practice and upgrade your skills in navigation, weather, tides and currents, and trip planning. This in-depth class builds on the skills of the Basic course and adds on more paddle strokes, rescues and seamanship knowledge. You are expected to perform at a higher level on this course than the Basic. To bring all the elements together, you will design and carry out a half day kayaking trip using all your level 1 on-water and navigation/trip planning skills.
By the end of this course, you will have learned the following:
- How to tie down a kayak to your vehicle or trailer
- How to carry a kayak safely to the water
- How to enter and exit a kayak
- Nine different paddling strokes
- How to tow another kayak effectively
- How to do a wet exit
- How to rescue yourself
- How to rescue someone else in three different ways
- How to edge, pivot, balance and raft up
- Introduction to your boat, gear and how to care for them
- What options to consider when you want to buy a kayak
- How to outfit your kayak for safety and comfort
- Transport Canada regulations and safety gear
- Paddling clothes and how to dress for kayaking
- How to organize your gear and pack for a day long outing
- What hypothermia is and how to prevent it
- Sun sense – what you need to know
- Communication signals and devices for safe paddling in a group or on your own
- Weather concepts and how that relates to trip planning and paddling on the water
- Risk assessment and mitigation
- Float plans
- Route planning and navigation – you get to plan a day long trip using all your seamanship knowledge you just learned
- Half day trip on the water using all your Level 1 skills
- Impact of kayakers on the environment
- History and heritage
- Kayaking community and resources
Length: 16 hours 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Cost: $280+ 5% goods and service tax (gst) includes certified Paddle Canada instructor, course manual, instruction, and certificate upon successful completion. *
Dates for 2021: April 24 & 25, May 1 & 2, May 29 & 30, June 19 & 20, July 10 & 11, July 31 & August 1st, August 28 & 29, September 25 & 26. At times additional dates are added as the classes fill up, so be sure to e-mail if these dates don’t work for you or if you have a group and wish to do private lessons.
* Kayaks and gear (lifejacket with whistle, paddle, spray skirt, tow rope, pump, paddle float) for the Level 1 course can be rented for $25.00 + 5% gst per person per day. Just let us know and we’d be happy to assist you.
This lesson is perfect for those who want an introduction to kayaking, some basic instruction and then get out on the water and have some fun! After completing this lesson, you will feel more confident to join Adventuress on one of our tours… try our Mistaken Island Lunch Tour, a little more adventurous! You will learn:
- Kayak and equipment orientation
- 4 paddling strokes
- Safety procedures
- Launching and exiting techniques
AND enjoy a mini paddle.
Length: 2.5 hours
Cost: $65.00/person + 5 % gst (includes certified guide & instructor, lesson, kayak, Transport Canada gear and dry bags)
Dates for 2021: April 3, May 18, June 6, July 3, August 13, September 4. Or book yours now for your group.
Bring your family and friends and run your own private course for the same price or enquire for a different date that is not listed. Call 250.755.6702 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve and receive all the details of launch location, what to wear and bring, etc.
Thanks to Kelly J. for writing this review of her and her husband’s experience with Adventuress’ Discover Kayaking lesson.
“My husband and I took a lesson with Jan which included a briefing and then a paddle out on the water. She has a wealth of knowledge on kayaking and shares it in a easy to follow, relaxed lesson on land to start. Once we were schooled on the basics we hit the water. The practical information lead to a seamless transition on the water. We were relaxed and confident as we paddled the bay. It was awesome, and of course nature helped, providing fabulous weather and wildlife (numerous seals plus a couple of barking sea lions). We both would highly recommend Adventuress Sea Kayaking.” Kelly J.
Rescue & Safety Clinics
These clinics, taught by a certified Paddle Canada instructor, are designed to boost your self confidence, upgrade your skill level, maximize your time on the water practising, and increase your knowledge of risk management to make you a safer kayaker. You never know when that rogue wave is going to sneak up on you and all of a sudden, you are in the water! Don’t wait for that to happen before you take this clinic. It is important to practice re-entries every year to keep it fresh and know how to respond quickly to your or a paddling buddy’s capsize.
Our small class size provides a supportive and relaxed environment to learn and practice these important skills. Bring a friend or spouse and practice together. You can never do enough of these.
The Rescue & Safety Clinic includes:
- Wet exits (turning yourself upside down, pulling off your spray skirt and coming to the surface)
- 5 rescue techniques for solo and assisted re-entries… we show ’em, you practice them! Pick your favourites and nail down those techniques.
- Contact tow – getting someone out of danger fast!
- Signs of hypothermia, how to prevent and how to treat it
- How to avoid capsizes
- Introduction to risk management and assessment
- Safety procedures to put in place
- What personal gear you need to bring to ensure your safety and comfort and Transport Canada regulation gear
- Kayak check… is your boat outfitted properly?
- Scenarios… most capsizes catch you by surprise, so let’s practice scenarios to be able to respond better in a real life situation
- Kayak and gear (lifejacket with whistle, paddle, spray skirt, tow rope, pump, paddle float).
Cost: $89 plus 5% gst *
Dates for 2021: June 5, July 25, August 15. Or call now to book your group or for private lessons. Call Jan at 250.755.6702 or email email@example.com to register and for more information.