Sea Kayaking Instruction
Adventuress offers fun, introductory kayaking lessons, a full day certified course for beginners and more in-depth training. Everyone is invited… young and old, men and women.. no experience is necessary, absolute beginners are welcome. See the selections below and find what suits ya’ best!
- Discover Kayaking .. a gentle introduction to kayaking… perfect for those who wish to learn a few basics and have a paddle around the bay. See below for more info.
- Paddle Canada Certified Sea Kayaking Course for Beginners… for those who prefer an in-depth, solid foundation in sea kayaking and receive a certification. See below for more info.
- Seamanship and Trip Planning Course for Paddlers … especially designed for kayakers who wish to delve into more topics including weather, navigation, chart reading, tides & currents and trip planning. More details here.
- Women in the Wild! For women who want to come out on the high seas for a multi-day adventure but it seems a daunting task. This 2 day in-depth course will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to join us for the adjoining 3 day Broken Group Islands trip. More details here.
Paddle Canada Basic Certified Sea Kayaking Course for Beginners
Adventuress teaches the Paddle Canada introductory class, a nationally accredited course for recreational paddlers. This 8 hour course is taught by a certified Paddle Canada instructor. There are no kayaking prerequisites for this class; complete beginners are welcome! Upon successful completion, the participant will receive a certificate from Paddle Canada.
This basic sea kayaking course is jam-packed full of information and time on the water. It is perfect for beginners who wish to get a solid foundation in the art of sea kayaking. For those who have some experience in kayaking, this is a way to enhance your skills, learn new techniques, and feel more confident.
By the end of this course, you will have learned the following:
- Eight different paddling strokes
- How to enter and exit the kayak
- How to do a wet exit
- How to rescue someone else
- How to edge, pivot, balance and raft up
- How to dress for kayaking
- All about safety equipment and the Transport Canada regulations
- How to find a boat that fits you
- What to do to prevent common injuries
- How to take care of your equipment and boat
- Names of kayaking resources and associations
Length: 8 hours (8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
Cost: $140 + 5% goods and service tax (gst) includes course manual, instruction, and certificate upon successful completion.
Dates for 2018: April 28, May 19, June 2, July 14, July 28, August 12, Sept. 8 or call to book your group. At times additional dates are added, so be sure to e-mail if these dates don’t work for you.
* Kayaks and gear (lifejacket with whistle, paddle, spray skirt, tow rope, pump) for the full day course can be rented for $25.00 + gst per person. Just let us know and we’d be happy to assist you.
- Kayak and equipment orientation
- 4 paddling strokes
- Safety procedures
- Launching and exiting techniques
AND enjoy a mini paddle.
Length: 2.5 hours
Cost: $61.00/person + GST (includes certified guide & instructor, lesson, kayak, gear)
Dates for 2018: April 14, May 26 June 9, July 8, August 4, September 16 or call to book your group.
Call 250.755.6702 to reserve. Bring your family and friends and run your own private course for the same price or enquire for a different date that is not listed.
What to Bring for Your Class
- Sunglasses with strap
- Swim suit under shorts and top to get wet in (for certified course)
- Nose plugs (optional – for the full day course)
- Quick dry pants (no cottons or jeans please)
- Light fleece sweater (warmer sweater and hat in cooler weather)
- Wind jacket
- Rain jacket (in cooler or sprinkly weather)
- Extra dry clothing (to be left in your vehicle)
- Paddling boots, sandals with heel straps or old running shoes that can get wet (no flip flops please)
- Pen & paper to take notes (for certified course)
- Filled water bottle (extra water bottle if hot outside)
- Hot drink (in the cooler season)
- Lunch & snack (for certified course)
- Immersion clothing (for certified course in spring and fall) i.e. wet suits, dry suit, gloves (rental stores list available)
- A sense of fun!!